If the student has attempted to register via online or in-person and gets a “prerequisite and test score-error message” or if the students knows he/she needs to be cleared for a prerequisite or co-requisite, the student needs to complete the following steps before attempting to complete the registration process. It is highly recommended the student seek approval for the clearance BEFORE attempting to register to minimize time delays. Otherwise, student will not be permitted to register for the course(s).
Steps to Requesting Unblocking (Clearance) of a Prerequisite
1. Download the Prerequisite Release Form by clicking here
2. Complete the form and attach supporting documentation (official or unofficial college or high school transcripts [if appropriate]), grade reports, test scores, AP scores, etc.) prior to registration. For math placement at the start of a Math sequence, the student can use high school transcripts, college transcripts from another college, or AP scores. For English placement, test scores from Cal State University, CTEP, or other selected validated standardized test scores may be submitted as documentation for course placement. Click here for list of acceptable alternative English and Math placement criteria.
3. Email completed Pre-Requisite Release Form and documentation to VCPreReqClearance@vcccd.edu. Please make sure to include a Pre-Requisite Release Form with your name, the class(es) you are requesting clearance for, student ID number and a contact telephone number or email.
4. Prerequisite clearance form requests will be reviewed and processed within 72 hours. Please assume you have been cleared and register for the course after this time frame.
5. If the prerequisite request(s) is denied, the student may elect to Challenge the Prerequisite. For more detail on this process, go to and read the section titled “How to Challenge a Prerequisite or Corequisite.”