Grants at Ventura College



The Financial Aid Office administers a variety of federal and state grant programs to assist students with their education costs at Ventura College. To be considered for these grant programs, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Ventura College must receive a valid FAFSA and any requested documentation by your last day of enrollment for the academic year to be considered for aid.

Federal Pell Grant Program

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree.

Amounts can change yearly. The amount you get will depend on:

  • your financial need,
  • your cost of attendance,
  • your status as a full-time or part-time student, and
  • your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. 

You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

You can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent (roughly six years). You’ll receive a notice if you’re getting close to your limit. If you have any questions, contact your financial aid office.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (FSEOG)

To get an FSEOG, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) so your college can determine how much financial need you have.  Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOGs first.  The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.

The FSEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office at each participating school and is therefore called “campus-based” aid. Not all schools participate.  Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if the school offers the FSEOG.

Cal Grants

Cal Grant Recipients are selected by the California Student Aid Commission.  To apply for the Cal Grant Program, you must submit the FAFSA and a Cal Grant GPA Verification form by March 2nd. If you do not meet the March 2nd priority filing deadline, you may have a second chance to compete for a Cal Grant by filing the FAFSA and GPA Verification form by September 2nd.

There are two types of Cal Grant B awards: Entitlement and Competitive

* Cal Grant B Entitlement Award

Every graduating high school senior who has at least a 2.0 GPA, meets the financial and academic requirements, and files the FAFSA and GPA Verification form by the March 2nd deadline will receive a Cal Grant B Entitlement award.

* Cal Grant B Competitive Award

Other eligible students who have at least a 2.0 GPA may apply for a Cal Grant B Competitive award. Selection is based on a composite score that takes into consideration your family’s income, assets,  parents’ educational level, GPA, and other factors.

Cal Grant C

Cal Grant C is is a competitive grant award available to eligible students who are pursuing a vocational degree program.  Cal Grant C recipients are selected by the California Student Aid Commission.

Full-Time Student Success Grant

On top of the $1,656 annual Cal Grant B award paid at community college, the Full-Time Student Success Grant pays full-time Cal Grant B recipients an additional $600 annually. See the flyer below for more information.

Login to the WebGrants for Students portal for more information regarding your Cal Grant eligibility status from the CA Student Aid Commission. 

Community College Completion Grant(CCCG)

What is it?

The Community College Completion Grant is a new financial aid program for Cal B and Full Time Student Success Grant recipients attending a California community college at a 15 unit per term pace.

How does it work?

On top of the $1,656 annual Cal Grant B award and $1,000 Full-Time Student Success Grant, the Community College Completion Grant pays students who are enrolled in 15 or more units for the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters an additional $1,500 annually.

How does it help?

The Community College Completion Grant (CCCG) is designed to encourage community college students to maintain full time status by supporting student persistence, retention, and success. The CCCG grant provides up to $1,500 annually in additional assistance to students with financial need who are attending at a 15 unit per term pace, or a 30 unit per year pace that enables them to achieve their degree or transfer goal within two academic years.

How do I apply?

1.      You apply for the CCCG grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must meet the eligibility requirements for the Cal Grant B and FTSSG.

2.      In addition, you must meet with Counseling to create a comprehensive Student Educational Plan (SEP) and submit your SEP to the Financial Aid Office. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in or have successfully completed at least 15 units per term (or a combination of 15 units between spring and summer terms) that are required for your program of study and outlined by your counselor on your SEP. To schedule an appointment with a counselor please call Academic Counseling at (805)289-6448.

*         If you are a CalWORKs, EOPS, EAC, FYE or veteran student you may meet with the appropriate program Counselor:

CalWORKs (805) 289-6003

EAC (805) 289-6300

EOPS (805) 289-6302

FYE (805) 289-6438

Veterans (805) 289-6060

What else do I need to know?

High unit majors or programs that require basic skills level courses or ESL courses may be approved for up to one additional year of CCCG for a maximum of up to three award years.

Please feel free to contact our office with any questions.


Chafee Grant Program

The California CHAFEE Grant Program awards up to $5,000 annually to eligible foster youth and former foster youth to use for college courses or vocational school training. The Financial Aid Office certifies the student’s need and enrollment status on the CHAFEE website and disburses CHAFEE grants in accordance with the regulatory statutes of this program. Click here for more information on this grant and opportunities for foster youth.