At this time and until the emergency is over, Ventura College campus offices are closed to the public and instruction, student services, and operations are being offered virtually to the extent possible.
For more information please visit https://www.vcccd.edu/news-and-events/vcccd-alerts/ventura-college-updates
Appointments will be done via Cranium Cafe or via Phone.
- Cranium Café enables you and the counselor to view forms together and interact in a virtual environment. This will be the most effective tool as it is video and will allow us to share documents for use with the appointment.
- How to access Cranium Café:
- You will get a link for your scheduled appointment from our program office the day of your appointment.
- This link will require chrome or Firefox from a desktop (most reliable)
- If you are using a smart phone or iPad you will need to download the CONEXED App from your device app store (free app)
- How to access Cranium Café:
- Appointments via phone (please note, this requires you to be in front of a computer for access of websites and email)
For CalWORKs Counselor or CalWORKs work study appointment availability please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Office Hours:
We will be available via email and phone during operating hours stated below. If you have any questions please contact us at VCcalworks@vcccd.edu or (805) 289-6003.
Monday - Thursday, 8:30am-4:00pm
Welcome to CalWORKs at Ventura College!
CalWORKs is California's welfare reform program designed to help head of households become self-sufficient through a variety of educational and work-related activities, including attendance at Ventura College.
- TANF (cashaid) recipients who are receiving cash aid and have or are developing a Welfare-to-Work (WTW) plan that refers them to the college for education and training
- Self-Initiated Program (SIP) Participants
- Exempt TANF recipients who have an educational plan with clear goals for completion
Who's Not Eligible:
- Sanctioned Students
- Sanction Student Policy: If a student has been sanctioned during a semester, services can be provided until the end of the semester; sanction must be cured by the end of the semester to continue for the next semester.
- Students who are not receiving cash aid for themselves - only their children are receiving cash aid
- Students who are not receiving cash aid for themselves, only receiving food stamps
- Former TANF recipients who have "timed-out" of the welfare system and are no longer eligible to receive cash aid
- Tribal TANF participants
- Individuals on SSI (not receiving TANF cash aid)
- Maintain a 2.00 GPA or "C" average in all their classes and compliance with an Educational Plan every semester
- Meeting weekly hour requirement within county approved activities
- Comply with both County and College CalWORKs guidelines
What You Need to Do:
Before coming to Ventura College CalWORKs office you will need to ...
- Meet with your County Employment Specialist
- Get a referral and/or a Welfare-to-Work Plan
Then you will need to ...
- Call and make an appointment to see the CalWORKs Counselor/Coordinator at the Ventura College CalWORKs office,
- Bring your referral or WTW plan
- If not already a student, we will guide you with how to apply for admissions to the College
- The CalWORKs Counselor/Coordinator will help you develop an Individual Training Plan (ITP) and book voucher request to provide to your Employment Specialist/Worker.
- Each semester you will need to provide your Employment Specialist with an ITP and book voucher request form along with providing the CalWORKs office an updated WTW plan.
- During your first semester you will want to make an appointment with the CalWORKs Counselor/Coordinator to develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP), which details your educational goals.
- It is important that you remain in regular contact and keep the Ventura College CalWORKs office updated with your WTW Status/participation
STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR TURNING IN ALL REQUIRED PAPER WORK TO THEIR COUNTY WORKER
Some of the more frequently asked questions may be answered in the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) link on the left. For more information about CalWORKs at Ventura College, please call CalWORKs Office.