The Distance Education Team works closely with the VC Professional Development Coordination Council to provide timely and relevant Flex Workshops and ongoing faculty support. Please refer to the VC Professional Development SharePoint site and the VC DE Faculty Hub to stay up to date on offered sessions and past session recordingsVC Professional Development SharePoint site and the VC DE Faculty Hub.
The VC DE Team also facilitates the district-wide online teaching certification and re-certification courses.
Teaching Online Certification (TOC) New!
If you are interested in teaching online or hybrid (partially online) courses at VC, contact your department chair to see if you are a candidate to teach Online or Hybrid courses. All online or hybrid instructors will enroll in a five-week online course that prepares and qualifies faculty to design and teach Partially Online (Hybrid) and Fully Online Distance Education (DE) courses using the Canvas Learning Management System.
About the TOC Course
The five-week course is 100% online and taught by VCCCD Instructional Technologists/Designers and includes optional weekly live Zoom sessions. This competency-based course covers a variety of effective practices and strategies in online teaching, management techniques to improve student success, and online course design concepts. If you are new to online teaching in Canvas, your attendance at these live sessions is highly encouraged. At the successful conclusion of this course, participants will be awarded DE Certification and be eligible to teach Online and Hybrid classes at any college in the VCCCD.
Who should take this course?
Faculty are scheduled to teach an online (or hybrid) class in an upcoming term and have never been Distance Education (DE) Certified by the VCCCD. Those required to recertify by Aug. 4, 2024.
2023-2024 TOC Dates:
- September 18 - October 23, 2023
- October 30 - December 10, 2023
- January 22 - February 25, 2024
- March 4 - April 14
- April 22 - May 26, 2024 (Spring Break week April 1-6)
- May 27 - June 30, 2024 (Summer Session 1)
- July 1 - August 4, 2024 (Summer Session 2)
Please use the registration form to sign-up for a future VCCCD Teaching Online Certification course. You must use your VCCCD Email address and select Ventura College as your "Home College."
- VCCCD TOC REGISTRATION FORM (REGISTER HERE)
Throughout the year, the Instructional Technologists and Designers will hold workshops and Flex Trainings on a variety of educational technology topics. We also have Open Studios on Fridays from 10- 11 AM for faculty and employees so that they can work independently on projects and ask us questions while developing.
Here is a list of topics that we have presented in the recent past.
- Leveraging AI in the classroom
- Designing Accessible Online Content
- Video creation with Camtasia and Canvas Studio
- Closed Captioning of Videos
- Creating Authentic Assignments
- Best Practices in Zoom Meetings
- Using the LRC Training Studio Resources for Learning Videos
- Universal Design for Learning
- Regular Substantive Interaction & Accreditation Reviews
- Addressing Academic Honesty in an Online Environment
- and more