Resume Resources & Guides
RESUMES & COVER LETTERS
Our Center offers Resume workshops throughout the semester and individual appointments.
What is a Resume?
It is a concise method of introducing your skills, experience and education to an employer. The goal of a resume is to land an interview by demonstrating the match between your skills and the employer’s needs.
A Well-Crafted Resume:
- Emphasizes Relevant Education, Skills & Experience
- Is Tailored to the Job Description You are Applying to & Optimized for Applicant Tracking Systems (using keywords)
- Translates Experience and Training into Tangible Skills & Accomplishments
- Typically is a One-page, Well-structured Document, Written with Brief Action Phrase
What is a Cover Letter?
It is a personalized sales pitch or introduction to an employer that accompanies a resume.
A Well-Crafted Cover Letter:
- Explains Why You are Sending the Resume
- Specifies How You Heard about the Position
- Convinces the Reader to Look at your Resume
- Reflects your Attitude & Personal Attributes
- Links your Skills & Experience to the Requirements of the Position