Register on Handshake
The first step to any engagement is encouraging students to register on our on-line JOB BOARD, Handshake! Handshake offers undergraduate students a personalized, user-friendly interface to find skill specific jobs and internships, schedule appointments with undergraduate career educators or graduate career advisors, register for professional development events, career fairs and employer events. Learn more at https://www.venturacollege.edu/make-connections-handshake.
Faculty Welcome to Join Handshake! If you would like to know what the Job Board looks like for our students, you can create a “student” account that will enable you to see exactly what students access when they log in. Join today!
Embed Career-Related Assignments into the Curriculum
Most students are ultimately preparing for their next step after Ventura College, whether that is a full-time job or continuing their education. While the Career Center team serves many students each year, embedding a career-related class assignment helps to ensure that all students are exposed to career development information.
The Career Center has created many courses for several career topics that can be assigned to students for completion or added to your Canvas course site. You can also partner with the Career Center on any of the assignments below, offering extra credit to your students for attending an event or workshop.
Write a reflection paper on their experience of one of the following assignments:
- Writing Resume Assignment (Assignment Resource: Resume Rubric)
- LinkedIn Profile Assignment (Assignment Resources: LinkedIn Profile and Checklist)
- Informational Interviewing Assignment
- Online Job Search Site Analysis Assignment
- Behavioral Interviewing Preparation Assignment (Assignment Resource: PARK and Common Questions)
- Skills Assessment Exercise (Assignment Resources: Job Analysis, Transferrable Skills and Inventory)
- Career Fair Assignment (Assignment Resources: Myths, Employer List, Dress for Success, Virtual Fair)