Networking is an Important Part of Your Career Success & Can Help You During a Job Search!
Review networking tips with this video and remember it is also helpful to network in order to learn more about industries and explore career options.
Below are three key strategies to help you expand your personal network:
- Strengthen Your Digital Brand & Identify New Contacts with LinkedIn
- Leverage Informational to Expand Your Network
- Network through Student Organizations & Professional Associations
Networking online and maintaining a professional digital presence can help you expand your network and support your job search.
LinkedIn, an online social networking platform, is an essential tool for professionals that helps you:
- Create a virtual resume with your LinkedIn profile to build your professional digital presence
- Keep in contact with your colleagues and classmates, and find new contacts for networking
- Discover professional opportunities and get the latest news about industries and companies of interest to you
To develop an effective LinkedIn profile, review the LinkedIn for Students: Top 5 Profile To-Do’s video and download the Quick Tip Sheet- Building a Great Student Profile found on https://university.linkedin.com/linkedin-for-students
Informational interviews are a great way to explore a career path or job by talking to people in the field. The purpose of an informational interview is to:
- Help you gain insight into what is required to be successful or advance in your field of interest
- Learn about the potential challenges or trends within a field or organization
- Gain information about the daily tasks and responsibilities of a particular position
- Interact with professionals or role models in your field
- Expand your professional network and contact
How do you ask for an informational interview? What kind of questions are appropriate during the interview? See our Informational Interview guide for more information. Guide to Informational Interviews
Get involved with campus organizations that relate to your interests and seek leadership opportunities: http://www.venturacollege.edu/committees/associated-students-of-ventura-college/student-organizations
Professional associations are an important resource now and throughout your career. You should consider joining associations related to your field of interest and research opportunities to participate in trainings, networking events, and access job-search resources. Associations typically offer a discounted membership rate for students and recent graduates. Professional Associations and Organizations by industry: http://www.jobstars.com/list-professional-associations/