Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Emergency Grants
The federal HEERF Act includes funds for students to help with immediate needs related to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis.
Ventura College has been allocated over $33,363,706 in funding and has certified with the U.S. Department of Education that at least $13,535,559 will go directly to students. $19,828,147 was designated by the Department of Education for institutional costs associated with significant changes to the delivery of instruction due to Covid-19. Ventura College will also contribute a portion of the institutional and minority serving awards towards direct student aid.
When enrolling at Ventura College, we encourage all students to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA). Students need to be enrolled in the Fall, with a minimum of 6 units, and those in need will qualify first for $1000. Please monitor your school email account throughout August, September and October for this important information.
Thousands of students will be eligible to receive a grant. We have awarded more than 6,346 students so far and anticipate more than 8,000 students will receive funding.
Ventura College is distributing HEERF grants to eligible students who have experienced an array of hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These funds can help cover expenses such as transition to distance education, housing, food, daycare, basic needs, technology, health care, and school supplies. We know our students are working hard to juggle everything right now and these funds represent our steadfast faith in their abilities. We want for each of our students to achieve their educational goals and hope these grants will help.
Funds are limited and students will be awarded HEERF grants as long as funds remain available.
HEERF grants will be disbursed as quickly as possible in order to provide students with the support they need to continue their educational pursuits. Once invited & processed, students are notified by email at the my.vcccd.edu email account. Please monitor your school email account throughout August, September and October for this important information.
Plan for Distribution
Ventura College’s Plan for Distribution of CARES Act Emergency Grants:
- Funds will be disbursed as quickly as possible in order to provide students with the support they need to continue their educational pursuits.
- 15% of student allocated funds will be distributed to eligible students enrolled for Summer 2020
- 85% of student allocated funds will be distributed to eligible students enrolled for Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021.
- During Summer 2020, Ventura College disbursed $344,000 to 344 students.
- During Fall 2020, Ventura College disbursed $1,876,500 to 2,495 students.
- During Spring 2021, Ventura College disbursed $70,269 to 72 students.
- As of February 9, 2021, Ventura College has disbursed a total of $2,290,769 to 2,911 students.
- In addition, Ventura College certified $150,000 of the Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) CARES funds will go directly to students.
- As of May 4, 2021 Ventura College has disbursed $150,000 to 217 students.
Ventura College's Plan for Distribution of HEERF Grants:
Funds will be distributed in the following tiers:
- FAFSA and/or CADAA applicants with Pell eligibility (EFC <5711) and enrolled in 6 units or more*
- FAFSA and/or CADAA applicants with EFC >5711 and enrolled in 6 units or more
- All other students who are enrolled in 6 units or more. Students will receive an email invitation to apply for HEERF funds.
*Students with exceptionally high need (Pell Grant eligible) will receive priority.
As of January 6, 2022, Ventura College has disbursed a grand total of $7,301,769 to 6,546 students.