Need assistance with your FAFSA or California Dream Act Application?

Stop by our Financial Aid Computer Lab and receive one-one-one assistance from our Financial Aid staff.   

Unable to come in person?   Join one of our weekly zoom sessions.  Zoom links and hours.

Federal School Code: 001334


General Financial Aid Eligibility Information

The federal government is the primary source of financial aid for college students. Students must meet several requirements in order to be eligible to receive federal aid. The following requirements are common to most federal (and many other) financial aid programs:

  • Students must have financial need and demonstrate it through their financial aid application materials. (Note, however, that some loan programs and many scholarship programs are available to students who do not have financial need.) We strongly encourage students to apply for aid by the deadline dates if they think they may need financial assistance.
  • In order to receive financial aid, students must be admitted to the college and working toward an eligible degree or certificate. (However, students may apply for aid before being accepted for admission or enrolled.)
  • To qualify for most aid, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-U.S. citizens. Federal regulations and campus policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to non-U.S. citizens. Click here for more information regarding the California Dream Act/AB540.
  • All students must have a valid Social Security Number (California Dream Act applicants are exempt from this requirement).
  • Male students who are between the ages of 18 and 25 are encouraged to register with the U.S. Selective Service.
  • Continuing students must be making satisfactory academic progress.
  • Students receiving federal student aid may use it only for educational purposes.
  • To continue to qualify for financial aid, students may not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on any federal educational loan.

Restrictions on Eligibility


Undergraduates who have already received a bachelor's degree may only receive loans and the California College Promise Grant while pursuing an additional course of study and are not eligible for federal grant assistance such as the Pell Grant or state grant assistance such as the Cal Grant.


Students who are enrolled at more than one college or university at the same time may receive Pell Grant from only one institution, not both.

Students may not borrow more than their annual loan limit, and VC will determine loan eligibility by reviewing the student’s borrowing record with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

For more information, contact the VC Financial Aid Office at 805.289.6369

Steps To Apply

Step 1

  • Complete the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application online by visiting or
  • Applications are processed throughout the school year. It will take approximately 7-10 business days for VC to receive/process your application.
  • Follow up with Financial Aid within two weeks of submitting the application. An email will be sent to the student’s account when the application is received.


How Do I apply? FASFA or California Dream Act.

  • Determines eligibility for federal aid for U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens
  • Also used by many states (including California) to determine eligibility for state aid.

  • For students who are not eligible to complete the FAFSA
  •     Allows eligible students to qualify for state and institutional aid.


A student's eligibility for financial aid is determined through one application!

What to Expect After Filing your Financial Aid Application
  • If you filed a FAFSA you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor. To check the status of your application, visit  
  • If you filed a California Dream Act Application, you will need to log in to to view your SAR or to check the status of your application.
  • Once completed you will receive an email confirmation, that you have successfully submitted your financial aid application. 
  • The SAR provides you with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The Financial Aid Office will use the EFC to determine the types of aid you may receive.
  • You can submit corrections to your application online through or
  • Students with a valid SAR will be directed to log in to to view their personalized aid package and requirements. After completing any requirements, students will receive an email when their aid is available – typically by late May.
  • The Net Price Calculator can be used to estimate financial aid for those considering Ventura College.

Questions About Applying?

  • Federal Student Aid Information Center (for FAFSA)
    1-800-4-FED-AID (433-3243)
  • California Student Aid Commission Customer Relations
    (for Dream Act Application and Cal Grants)


Step 2

  • Go to your MyVCCCD student portal and click on "Financial Aid Requirements" to view what items are required to complete the financial aid process.
  • All required items should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office immediately.
  • Red check boxes are completed items.

Step 3

  • Once all requirements are completed, you should monitor your portal weekly for updates on your status.
  • If eligible, an award notification email will be sent to account once file review process is complete. You can then login to the account, click on the "Financial Aid" and then the "Financial Aid Awards" link to view the awards. The review process generally takes 2-3 weeks to complete.
  • We deliver your refund with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. Visit this link for more information:
  • Review the Financial Aid Disbursement page for more information regarding disbursement dates and how your payments are calculated.


Special Circumstances Due to Family Financial Changes

In certain cases, a family's situation change after the submission of the FAFSA or CADAA. Below are examples of special circumstances:

  • Death in the family
  • Separation or divorce
  • Loss of employment or other income
  • Loss of non-taxable income or benefits
  • Unusual medical expenses not paid by insurance
  • Unusual dependent care expenses

If you and/or your family has a change in the financial situation due to loss of income or other extenuating circumstances since you completed your financial aid application, you may request a Family Contribution Appeal by contacting the Financial Aid Office. 

You will be required to provide a statement explaining the special circumstance(s) in addition to supporting documentation as applicable to your appeal. All appeals must be received two weeks prior to the last date of attendance in the academic year. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your appeal to be reviewed.

If you have further questions, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at 805.289.6369

Find your circumstances below to determine the documents to submit for a review of your appeal:

  • Unemployment/Dislocated or Change in Employment
    • Employment discontinuation, notification from previous employer, Letter from EDD showing unemployment benefits including amounts and dates, copy of last pay stub, copy of most recent Federal Income Tax Return including W2's
  • Unusual medical/dental/nursing home expenses not covered by insurance
    • Copy of most recent Federal Income Tax Return, W2's, and Itemized Deductions
    • Copies of unreimbursed medical/dental bills paid
    • Receipts for payments
    • Canceled checks
    • Documentation of costs covered by insurance
  • Tuition expenses at a private elementary/secondary school
    • Current verification of enrollment and documentation of tuition paid
    • Canceled checks
    • Signed, itemized statement of expenses
  • Non-recurring income (such as gambling winnings, bonus pay, IRA or pension distribution)
    • Copy of most recent Federal Income Tax Return and W2's
    • Schedule D of Federal Income Tax Return (Capital Gains and Losses)
    • Documentation showing one-time income (such as check stub, letter from employer)
  • Exclusion of income due to sale of farm or business assets as a result of foreclosure, forfeiture, bankruptcy, or involuntary liquidation
    • Court documents ordering foreclosure, forfeiture, bankruptcy, or involuntary liquidation
    • Most recent Federal Income Tax Return; Schedule C--Business Income; Schedule D--Capital Gains & Losses; Schedule E--Rental Real Estate; Schedule F--Farm Income
    • Accountant or investment broker asset liquidation statements
  • Income reduction or nonrecurring income (example: divorce, death, disability)
    • Most recent Federal Income Tax Return and W2's
    • Paycheck stubs
    • Alimony in divorce agreement
    • Death certificate
    • Disability and Social Security benefits received or to be received
  • Other Special Circumstances
    • Must indicate type of special circumstance