Need assistance with your FAFSA or California Dream Act Application?
Stop by our Financial Aid Computer Lab and receive one-one-one assistance from our Financial Aid staff.
Unable to come in person? Join one of our weekly zoom sessions. Click here for Zoom links and hours.
Federal School Code: 001334
General Financial Aid Eligibility Information
The federal government is the primary source of financial aid for college students. Students must meet several requirements in order to be eligible to receive federal aid. The following requirements are common to most federal (and many other) financial aid programs:
- Students must have financial need and demonstrate it through their financial aid application materials. (Note, however, that some loan programs and many scholarship programs are available to students who do not have financial need.) We strongly encourage students to apply for aid by the deadline dates if they think they may need financial assistance.
- In order to receive financial aid, students must be admitted to the college and working toward an eligible degree or certificate. (However, students may apply for aid before being accepted for admission or enrolled.)
- To qualify for most aid, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-U.S. citizens. Federal regulations and campus policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to non-U.S. citizens. Click here for more information regarding the California Dream Act/AB540.
- All students must have a valid Social Security Number (California Dream Act applicants are exempt from this requirement).
- Male students who are between the ages of 18 and 25 are encouraged to register with the U.S. Selective Service.
- Continuing students must be making satisfactory academic progress.
- Students receiving federal student aid may use it only for educational purposes.
- To continue to qualify for financial aid, students may not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on any federal educational loan.
Restrictions on Eligibility
Undergraduates who have already received a bachelor's degree may only receive loans and the California College Promise Grant while pursuing an additional course of study and are not eligible for federal grant assistance such as the Pell Grant or state grant assistance such as the Cal Grant.
ENROLLMENT AT MORE THAN ONE INSTITUTION
Students who are enrolled at more than one college or university at the same time may receive Pell Grant from only one institution, not both.
Students may not borrow more than their annual loan limit, and VC will determine loan eligibility by reviewing the student’s borrowing record with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
For more information, contact the VC Financial Aid Office at 805.289.6369
Steps To Apply
- Complete the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application online by visiting studentaid.gov or CalDreamAct.org
- Applications are processed throughout the school year. It will take approximately 7-10 business days for VC to receive/process your application.
- Follow up with Financial Aid within two weeks of submitting the application. An email will be sent to the student’s account when the application is received.
A student's eligibility for financial aid is determined through one application!
What to Expect After Filing your Financial Aid Application
Questions About Applying?
- Go to your MyVCCCD student portal and click on "Financial Aid Requirements" to view what items are required to complete the financial aid process.
- All required items should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office immediately.
- Red check boxes are completed items.
- Once all requirements are completed, you should monitor your portal weekly for updates on your status.
- If eligible, an award notification email will be sent to my.vcccd.edu account once file review process is complete. You can then login to the my.vcccd.edu account, click on the "Financial Aid" and then the "Financial Aid Awards" link to view the awards. The review process generally takes 2-3 weeks to complete.
- We have partnered with BankMobile to deliver your financial aid refund. For more information about BankMobile, visit this link: http://bankmobiledisbursements.com/refundchoices
Review the Financial Aid Disbursement page for more information regarding disbursement dates and how your payments are calculated.