CALL US FOR MORE INFORMATION!
Ventura College's Medical Assisting Program is a cohesive program designed to prepare students with the main competencies needed for employment in the medical field as either administrative medical assistants (a career also referred to as front office medical assistant or Medical Secretary) or clinical medical assistants (also referred to as back office medical assistant). This program is also an excellent training program for career enhancement for those seeking to expand their skills in the medical field and advance into new job positions.
Jobs in this area include:
- Front Office Medical Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Back Office Medical Assistant
- Entry Level Medical Biller
- Hospital Admitting Clerk
- Hospital Unit Coordinator
- Entry Level Medical Records Clerk
Medical Assistants work in:
- Physician, Chiropractor and other healthcare practitioner offices
- Nursing Facilities
- Radiology Imaging Centers
- Insurance Companies
Medical Assistants play a vital role in the daily operations of a medical practice. They perform administrative services that keep the office operating efficiently and perform services that support the work of the physicians.
What does a Medical Assistant do?
- Handle phones
- Schedule appointments
- Process patients in the practice computer management system
- Data management
- Billing and coding
- Take vital signs and prepare patients for examination and office procedures
- Assist the physician with exams and office surgical procedures
- Administer injections
- Perform basic diagnostic testing and EKGs
- Maintain medical records
For more information, go to http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/home and http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/print/medical-assistants.htm
CERTIFICATION FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS
The State of California does not require that medical assistants be certified. However, most employers are requiring proof of certification, especially if they are using electronic health records systems. It is highly recommended that all medical assistants obtain certification. Certification is available through the California Certifying Board for Medical Assistants or the National Center for Competency Testing. More information is available at www.ccbma.org or www.ncctinc.com.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate performance of appropriate medical administrative or clinical skills.
- Determine appropriate communication strategies for stakeholders in the medical environment.
- Describe legal and ethical principles that affect the role of a medical assistant.
- Apply appropriate procedures for complying with established risk management and safety practices.
DEGREES AND CERTIFICATES OFFERED
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting – Multi-Skilled
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting – Administrative
- Certificate of Achievement in Medical Assisting – Multi-Skilled
- Certificate of Achievement in Medical Assisting – Administrative
- Proficiency Award in Medical Insurance Billing
For a checklist to help track progress towards a degree or certificate, click on this link: Medical Assistant Degree Checklist.
OPTIONS FOR TRAINING AT VENTURA COLLEGE
- Certificate of Achievement in Medical Assisting
- Associates of Science Degree in Medical Assisting (Certificate of Achievement plus General Education courses)
- Multi-Skilled Medical Assistant Course (One-semester fast-track)
|Medical Assisting Advisory Committee - Meeting Minutes|
|Meeting Minutes - 05-1 7 -21|
|Meeting Minutes - 04-25-19|
|Meeting Minutes - 05-06-16|
|Meeting Minutes - 05-01-15|
|Meeting Minutes - 05-02-14|
|Meeting Minutes - 05-03-13|
|Meeting Minutes - 04-21-11|