This is a federally funded program available to eligible permanent residents or citizens. Parents with children who are citizens can apply on their child's behalf.
To be eligible to apply for Calfresh as a student:
The student must be between the ages of 18 and 49, enrolled in at least 6 units, have no meal plan (or have a meal plan that provides ten or less of your meals/week), and must also meet any ONE of the following:
Other things to consider:
- Unpaid internships or volunteer work do not count towards the work requirement
- Students who live with their parents must be 22 years of age or older to apply as an individual household
- International, DACA, and DREAM students may not be eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
- Effective June 1, 2019 individuals receiving SSI/SSP are eligibility for CalFresh, provided all other eligibility criteria are met.
- Newly eligible CalFresh households (all household members are SSI/SSP recipients) are eligible as of the implementations date.
- For existing CalFresh households (contain an excluded SSI/SSP recipient), implementation will occur on a rolling basis at: Eligibility Status Report (SAR 7), At yearly recertification, or when voluntarily requested.