Information for New Students


Who May Attend Ventura College

  • All persons who are at least 18 years of age with or without a high school diploma, may attend Ventura College.
  • Students who are 16 or 17 years of age and non-high school graduates are eligible to attend if they have passed the California High School Proficiency Examination or completed the G.E.D.
  • Dual Enrollment Students
  • International Students

 If you are a new student, please visit our Matriculation for New Students page.

We also offer Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS) and Educational Assistance Center (EAC) programs (DSP&S) for qualified students.


Residency status is determined by the information provided by the student on the Application for Admission.  Students who do not meet residency requirements will be classified as non-residents for tuition purposes only.  In order to establish a residence, it is necessary that there be a union of act and intent.

You are a resident if:

  • You intend to make California the home for other than a temporary purpose.
  • You have lived in California one year and one day prior to the start of the semester and meet eligibility requirements for establishing California residency.
  • You have applied or received immigrant status one year and a day prior to the start of the semester in addition to the above requirement.

You are a non-resident if the following is less than a year proceeding the first day of term you plan to attend:

  • You have not lived in California one year and one day prior to the start of the semester, even though you are a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant.
  • You have registered and voted in a state other than California.
  • You have petitioned for divorce in a state other than California.
  • You have attended an out-of-state educational institution as a resident of that state.
  • You have declared non-residence for California State income tax purposes.
  • You have been approved for admission as an International Student.
  • You are in the United States on a temporary visa/non-immigrant status.

The burden of proof to clearly demonstrate both physical presence in California and intent to Establish Residence lies with the student. The student is required to present evidence in accordance with the California Education Code 68040. The documents presented must be valid, readable, and dated to show continuous physical presence in California for one year and one day prior to the beginning of the term for which reclassification is requested. See Residency Reclassification Request form.