If you have at least 90 days aggregate active-duty service after Sept. 10, 2011, and are still on active duty, or if you are honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees are paid directly to the school on behalf of the student when the school’s enrollment certification is processed. Tuition and fees are prorated by the student’s benefit level.

Monthly Housing Allowance

The housing allowance is prorated by the student’s length of service percentage (e.g. length of service determines benefit level) and the student’s rate of pursuit (RoP). The MHA paid is based upon the Department of Defense’s Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an “E-5 with dependents” and the zip code of the campus or training location where the student physically attends the majority of their courses. More information on monthly housing allowance benefits can be found on the GI Bill® website.

Rate of Pursuit and the Monthly Housing Allowance

Rate of pursuit (RoP) applies specifically to Chapter 33. It differs from training time, which is used for all other chapters. Schools certify actual credit. VA calculates RoP by dividing the number of credit (or credit hour equivalents) being pursued by the number of credits considered to be full-time by the school. The resulting percentage is the student’s RoP.


If full-time is 12 credits, then RoP:

  • 6 credits (or credit equivalents) is 50% (6 ¸ 12 = 50%)
  • 7 credits (or credit equivalents) is 58% (7 ¸ 12 = 58%)

Books and Supplies Stipend

The books and supplies stipend is a lump sum payment (each quarter, semester or term attended) paid directly to the student when the school’s enrollment certification is processed. The stipend is prorated by the student’s length of service percentage. The start date of an enrollment period determines the academic year to which the enrollment period belongs. The maximum stipend is $1,000 per academic year.

Monthly Verification of Enrollment

Students using Post 9/11 GI Bill™ benefits must also verify their enrollment directly to the VA after each month of attendance. This monthly verification process is ONLY for Chapter 33 students and differs from the monthly certification process non-Chapter 33 students are required to provide to release their monthly stipend. 

  • Students enrolled in a program which begins on or after August 1, 2021 will either receive an option to opt into the text messaging process to verify their attendance monthly OR they will be required to contact the 1-888-442-4551 toll free number monthly to verify. Schools cannot verify for students. The student must verify they continue to be enrolled by stating “yes” or, if not enrolled as stated, should respond as “no” and the VCEs will contact the school(s) to determine where and when the change occurred. If you have dropped all your courses, reply no". You must respond to the text within 6 days.

How to Verify Enrollment for Post 9/11 GI Bill® Students

     VA: Video on Verification Process

If a Chapter 33 student fails to verify their enrollment MHA payments will continue to be released until two consecutive months have elapsed. After that two-month period your Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) will be held by the VA. Additional guidance regarding a failure to validate for two consecutive months must be obtained by the student by contacting the verification number at 1-888-442-4551.

What is BAH?

The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a tax-free allowance to help reduce the financial burden for military members moving to different areas. Military families, as you’re likely well aware, tend to move around a lot and the cost of living varies from region to region across the country.  As a result, the US Military offers this allowance to make up the difference when and where government-provided housing is not available.

Types of BAH

There are several types of BAH to satisfy various housing situations that occur among military members. In general, the amount of BAH you receive depends on your location, pay grade, and whether or not you have dependents. Under most circumstances, you receive BAH for the location where you are assigned, not where you live. Additionally, you may be entitled to some BAH amounts if you are residing separately from your dependents. This occurs in situations involving unaccompanied overseas tours or having a dependent child that resides with a former spouse. The rules regarding these situations can become quite complex. Consult your Finance Office for more information regarding these complex situations. The following information comes directly from the Department of Defense’s website’s Compensation pages. 

Difference between BAH vs. MHA

Basic Housing Allowance (BAH) is a housing benefit provided by the DoD, whereas the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) is a benefit provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Your Post-9/11 GI Bill® monthly housing allowance (MHA) is generally the same as the military's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents living in your school's ZIP code.

Unlike the BAH, which changes Jan. 1 of every year, the GI Bill® MHA rate changes Aug. 1 (the start date of the academic year).

Active Duty

MHA is paid directly to the student at the beginning of each month for the previous month. MHA will only be paid while the student is not on active duty (e.g. MHA payments will stop immediately on the day a member enters on active duty or will begin the day after when a member is released from duty when enrolled and otherwise eligible).

Concurrent Enrollment

A student may take courses at more than one school that apply to their degree. The school that will grant the degree is the student’s “primary” school. All other schools are “secondary” schools. VA can pay benefits for courses taken at secondary schools. If the student is only enrolled at the secondary school (supplemental enrollment), VA will pay for the credits taken at the secondary school. If the student is enrolled at the primary school and the secondary school at the same time (concurrent enrollment), VA will pay for the combined credit, taking overlapping enrollment dates into account.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Find more information about Education Benefits Offered by VA at the official U.S. government website.