What is a continuing vet? 

Continuing Student – currently enrolled in the last two (2) semesters within VCCCD.  

Step 1 - Report Any Changes

Always contact the Ventura College Veterans Certifying Official to report any change in your enrollment. A new educational plan must be submitted each time you change your major/degree objective. Changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, switching courses, etc. must also be reported immediately so that students do not end up owing money back to the VA. 

Be aware that the VA places restrictions on what courses you may be paid for. You can only be paid for classes that apply toward completion of your degree objective. A counselor's recommendation may not be payable under VA regulations, especially if the class is a "recommended" elective. 

Note: Per VA guidelines, students are required to declare a major. "Undeclared" or "general education" majors are not acceptable. 

Step 2 – Request Certification of Benefits

Electronically submit and complete online Veterans Agreement & Request for Certification form via Admissions & Records. 

Step 3 – Verify Attendance

Those receiving the Post 9/11 VA Educational Benefit do not have to verify their attendance through WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). Your school certifying official is responsible for verifying your attendance with VA at the beginning of your term. You are responsible for ensuring that your school certifying official is aware of your enrollment, and any subsequent changes in your schedule. 

Step 4 – Renew Applications for FAFSA and other Financial Aid

Each year, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for financial aid programs. The FAFSA and the VA Educational Benefits are completely separate programs, and one does not affect or determine the other.