CALL US TO REGISTER TODAY!
Program Purpose: The Diesel Mechanics program will provide hands-on, work-based training experience and the classroom curriculum required for careers in diagnosis and repair of the electronics, engines, and various equipment in medium/heavy duty trucks.
Diesel Mechanics Program at Ventura College is designed to prepare students for immediate employment in the Ventura County diesel engine repair workforce. Students will be groomed in the advanced knowledge and high technology skills that will prepare them as diesel technicians for the 21st Century. The program curriculum incorporates lecture and lab activities correlated around competencies in: maintenance and inspection of heavy-duty diesel engines, technical, operational, and diagnostic skills of diesel electrical systems, power train units, steering and suspension components, brakes, electrical and fuel systems.
Degree Offerings: Since 2016 Ventura College has offered two Certificates of Achievement options "Diesel Engine Repair" and "Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicle Repair " and/or Associate of Science Degree in Diesel Mechanics.
The Diesel Mechanics program provides hands-on, work-based training experience and the classroom curriculum required for careers in diagnosis and repair of the electronics, engines, and various equipment in medium/heavy duty trucks.
To receive both certificates in the Diesel Mechanics program would require 37 units of coursework related to the Diesel Mechanics program. In addition, courses in "Soft Skills" such as job readiness, customer service, workplace ethics and computing skills are recommended.
An Associate of Science Degree in Diesel Mechanics would require an additional 36 to 40 units of general education beyond the core classes outlined in the Certificate of Achievements. The “soft skills” courses discussed above, would also be incorporated into the general education requirements.
In the News:
- Diesel technology program gets funding at Ventura College
- Diesel Technology Program at Ventura College
- Diesel Advisory Agenda April 9, 2019
- Diesel Advisory Agenda November 13, 2018
- Diesel Advisory Minutes November 13, 2018
- VC Diesel Technology Advisory Committee Fourth Meeting April 8, 2016
- VC Diesel Technology Advisory Committee Third Meeting February 19, 2016
- VC Diesel Technology Advisory Committee Second Meeting January 10, 2016
- Curriculum Review Meeting Minutes November 20, 2015