Program Purpose: Study in the Biological Sciences curriculum promotes mastery of key biological terms, processes, and techniques. Students acquire understanding of the central dogma of molecular biology, as well as the mechanisms of and evidence for evolution. Additionally, they learn to identify key entities at multiple levels of biological organization, they formulate and evaluate hypotheses, learn to contrast scientific and non-scientific ideas, and demonstrate an understanding of the primary ethical issues related to biology.
The Biological Sciences curriculum provides a foundation for further study and careers in multiple fields within the life sciences. Our generalized courses give students majoring in other subjects a broad and comprehensive experience in biology. Our specialized courses serve students transferring to four-year, graduate, or professional schools; upon transfer, these students will be prepared for further study in a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to Botany, Cell/Molecular Biology, Ecology, Health Sciences, Marine Biology, Pharmacology, and Zoology. Subsequent careers in dentistry, medicine, nursing, research, teaching, among others, all rely on a strong background in the Biological Sciences.
Full Time Faculty:
VC Biology has a large, changing pool of instructors. Please contact the Division Office Assistants or the Department Chair for assistance concerning these instructors.
Degrees, Certificates and Awards Offered:
- Associate in Science Degree in Biology for Transfer (AS-T)
- Associate in Arts Degree and Certificate of Achievement (Biology majors)
- Associate in Science Degree and Certificate of Achievement.
- Certificate of Achievement in Pre-Allied Health (pending)
For more information on the above degrees, please click here.
Classes Offered by this Discipline: for details, see current VC catalog.
- Anatomy (ANAT)
- Anatomy/Physiology (ANPH)
- Biology (BIOL)
- Microbiology (MICR)
- Physiology (PHSO)
- STEM HARBOR (SCI 223; Tutoring Hours by Faculty)
- Life, Physical and Social Science Occupations
- Healthcare Occupations
- Education Training and Library Occupations
- Personal Care and Service Occupations
- Math Related Occupations
- Protective Service Occupations
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupation Finder