Program Purpose: Study in the Biological Sciences curriculum promotes mastery of key biological terms, processes, and techniques. Students acquire understanding of the central dogma of molecular biology, as well as the mechanisms of and evidence for evolution. Additionally, they learn to identify key entities at multiple levels of biological organization, they formulate and evaluate hypotheses, learn to contrast scientific and non-scientific ideas, and demonstrate an understanding of the primary ethical issues related to biology.
The Biological Sciences curriculum provides a foundation for further study and careers in multiple fields within the life sciences. Our generalized courses give students majoring in other subjects a broad and comprehensive experience in biology. Our specialized courses serve students transferring to four-year, graduate, or professional schools; upon transfer, these students will be prepared for further study in a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to Botany, Cell/Molecular Biology, Ecology, Health Sciences, Marine Biology, Pharmacology, and Zoology. Many of our courses also provide essential skills to students completing our Biotechnology program. Subsequent careers in biotechnology, dentistry, medicine, nursing, research, teaching, among others, all rely on a strong background in the Biological Sciences.
Department Chair: Kamelia Algiers
Office: SCI 327
Full Time Faculty:
VC Biology has a large, changing pool of instructors. Please contact the Division Office Assistants or the Department Chair for assistance concerning these instructors.
Degrees, Certificates and Awards Offered:
- Associate in Science Degree in Biology for Transfer (AS-T); Note: this degree is only accepted by CSUs (and not all CSU Biology-related programs)
- Associate in Arts Degree and Certificate of Achievement (Biology majors)
- Associate in Science Degree and Certificate of Achievement (Biotechnology and/or Plant Biotechnology)
- Biotechnician Proficiency Award
- Certificate of Achievement in Pre-Allied Health (pending)
Classes Offered by this Discipline: for details, see current VC catalog.
- Anatomy (ANAT)
- Anatomy/Physiology (ANPH)
- Biology (BIOL)
- Biotechnology (BIOT)
- Microbiology (MICR)
- Physiology (PHSO)
- Life, Physical and Social Science Occupations
- Healthcare Occupations
- Education Training and Library Occupations
- Personal Care and Service Occupations
- Math Related Occupations
- Protective Service Occupations
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupation Finder