Know Your Rights: AB 705 and What It Means for Students

Effective as of Spring 2019 at Ventura College, standardized assessment tests are no longer needed for placement into transfer-level English and Math classes. All students have direct access to transfer-level English and math courses.

To see Know Your Rights click here

You Can Get Into The Transfer-level Classes You Need To Graduate Right Now

We are ready to provide you with all the support you need to succeed in the required English and Math classes. You can do it!

Research shows that California students are better prepared than placement tests suggested.  In fact, a student’s high school performance is a much stronger predictor of success than a single test score. 

In October 2017, the California legislature unanimously passed Assembly Bill 705 not only to eliminate English and Math placement tests but also to ensure you have the right to enter and complete transfer-level classes within your first year in college.  

Studies show that students are far more likely to pass transfer-level English and Math classes when they start in these classes instead of taking optional basic skills classes first. Finishing English and Math requirements in your first two semesters gives you the best chance to stay in college and graduate with a degree. At Ventura College, we stand ready to provide all the support you need to succeed.

Placement recommendation in an English and/or math class can be accomplished in one of the following ways:

  1. If you have graduated from high school ten (10) years ago or less, placement will be based on high school coursework, high school grades, high school grade point average.


  • Bring a copy of your official high school and/or college transcript(s) visit the Assessment Office to be cleared for the appropriate English and math course, OR
  • Attach a copy of your high school and/or college transcript(s) in PDF format and the completed Multiple Measure form to in order to be placed in the appropriate math and English course(s) based on your transcript(s) and the goal that you are pursuing at Ventura College.
  1. If you have graduated from high school over ten (10) years ago, possess a foreign transcript, do not have access to your transcript or have left high school without graduating the college may look at other information, to help match students with the right courses to help them meet their goal.
    1. Visit the Assessment Office for clearance in the English and/or math course you plan to enroll.

Supplemental Support Options:

English: English V01A

Math: Many students will benefit from new classes that will be offered as supplemental support with some math sections.

Those students have been identified in the application process and will only be able to take transfer-level math with suggested supplemental support.

To support your success in transfer-level math courses, Ventura College is expanding tutoring and student support services.

2019-2020 Math flowchart

Next Steps:

Make an appointment with a Counselor to create your Student Education Plan (SEP), help you make the best selection of courses based on your ability, needs, and degree requirements.

Visit the Counseling Department website for contact information and office hours