Sigma Kappa Delta (ΣΚΔ) is a collegiate honor society for students of English at two-year colleges. Members are eligible for scholarships and awards. The organization publishes an annual literary journal Hedera helix and partners with Sigma Tau Delta to plan and promote their annual convention.
The Eta Zeta Chapter at Ventura College has been active since 2017.
Who is eligible to join Sigma Kappa Delta?
Active members must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a two-year college with a Sigma Kappa Delta Chapter
- Have completed a minimum of one college course (excluding developmental courses) in English language or literature
- Have no grade lower than a B in English
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in general scholarship
- Have completed at least one semester or two quarters of college course work for a cumulative total of twelve semester hours
- Students are not required to be English majors
Why should I join Sigma Kappa Delta?
Some advantages include the following:
- Prestige of membership in a national honor society
- Apply for scholarships and awards
- Vote at all chapter meetings of the society
- Eligibility to serve as a chapter officer
- Attend scholarly presentations and colloquia of the sponsoring academic department
- Represent the local chapter at state, regional, and national conventions
- Receive other benefits, such as publications, of the Society
- Associate with other Sigma Kappa Delta members on local levels and regional levels and with Sigma Kappa Delta and Sigma Tau Delta members on the national level who share your interest in literature, the English language, and fine arts
Can I lose membership in Sigma Kappa Delta?
- No: Once a member, always a member. Dues are for lifetime membership.
Who are the faculty sponsors of the Eta Zeta Chapter (2017) at Ventura College?
- Heather Aguailar – email@example.com
- Eric Martinsen - firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Carlander- email@example.com
- Jocelyn Fechner – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sharon Beynon - email@example.com
- Jennifer Garcia - firstname.lastname@example.org