Location: 129A Campus Center (next to the VC Cafeteria)
Phone: (805) 289-6003
CalWorks Fax: (805) 289-6005
Hours: Monday - Tuesday: 7:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Wednesday: 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Thursday & Friday: CLOSED
Welcome to CalWORKs at Ventura College! CalWORKs is California's welfare reform program designed to help head of households become self-sufficient through a variety of educational and work-related activities, including attendance at Ventura College. A leader in higher education, Ventura College provides individuals with the opportunity to obtain new job skills or enhance existing skills through a variety of state-of-the-art programs.
- TANF/CalWORKs recipients who are receiving cash aid and had or are developing a Welfare-to-Work (WTW) plan that refers them to the college for education and training
- Self-Initiated Participants (SIPs)
- Must be in good standing
- Exempt CalWORKs Recipients (must have an educational plan developed with clear goals for completion)
- Students who have a developed plan to cure their sanction
Who's Not Eligible:
- Sanction Students
- Sanction Student Policy: If a student has been sanctioned during a semester, services can be provided until the end of the semester; sanction must be cured by the end of the semester to continue for the next semester.
- CalWORKs students who are not receiving cash aid - only their children are receiving cash aid
- CalWORKs students who are not receiving cash aid for themselves, only receiving food stamps
- CalWORKs recipients who have "timed-out" of the welfare system (48-month time limit has been reached) and are no longer eligible to receive cash aid
- Tribal TANF
- Individuals on SSI (not receiving CalWORKs/TANF cash assistance)
What's Expected from a Cal Works Student:
- Maintain a 2.00 GPA or "C" average in all their classes and compliance with an Eductaional Plan
- Meet the 20 to 30 hour a week requirement within a county approved program of activities
- Comply with county and CalWORKs guidelines
Student Support Services Include:
- Academic and Career Counseling with CalWORKs counselor
- Work-Study Opportunities
- Financial Aid
- On-Site child care
- Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)
- Educational Assistance Center
- Student Registration via webSTAR
- College Catalog
- Schedule of Classes
- Career Transfer Center
- General Counseling
What You Need to Do:
Before coming to Ventura College CalWORKs office you will need to ...
- Meet with your County Employment Specialist
- Get a referral and/or a WTW (Welfare-to-Work plan)
Then you will need to ...
- Come in to our Ventura College CalWORKs office with your referral or WTW plan.
- If not already a student, we will help you apply for admissions to the College
- Then meet with the CalWORKs coordinator to develop an ITP and book voucher request to provide to your CalWORKs Employment Specialist.
- Meet with our CalWORKs counselor and develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP), which details your educational goals.
- It is important that you remain regular contact and updates with Ventura College CalWORKs office. Each semester you will need to provide your Employment Specialist with an ITP and book voucher request form along with providing the CalWORKs office an updated WTW plan.
STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR TURNING IN ALL REQUIRED PAPER WORK TO THEIR COUNTY WORKER!
Some of the more frequently asked questions may be answered in the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) link on the left. For more information about CalWORKs at Ventura College, please call CalWORKs Office.