Program Purpose: Business degrees provide the student with an educational foundation in the areas of leadership, ethics, communication, project management, decision-making, and management. Because of the broad scope of subject matter, business is an excellent preparation for a wide range of career paths, including accounting, business management, non-profit management, finance, teaching, and entrepreneurship.
Program Description: This comprehensive curriculum covers the fundamental principles of business, accounting, economics, statistical analysis, business law and communication within organizations. Critical thinking and social responsibility in a dynamic global economy are emphasized.
Contact: Debbie Newcomb, Department Chair
Student Learning Outcomes
About the Business Program
The Ventura College Business department is among the most highly regarded community college business programs in the state, including the Ventura College Chapter of Alpha Beta Gamma, an international business honor society. It has been honored at a national Alpha Beta Gamma conference with a number of awards, including: Excellence in Financial Management, the Hausman Siegel Distinguished Chapter President Award and the Eva Bobrow Medallion of Excellence Award.
In addition to these awards, the Ventura College Business department is extremely proud of the high caliber of its teaching faculty, whose goal is your success.
Students have the opportunity to earn an Associate Degree in Business Administration for Transfer as well as a degree in Business Management.
Many positions in businesses and government service require general business training. Retail organizations, financial institutions, insurance agencies, and government are but a few of the employers offering opportunities to the person with general business training. Business graduates have found a multitude of employment opportunities in the following areas:
- Administrative assistant
- Banking services
- Employment counselor/interviewer
- Franchise business owner
- Office manager
- First line manager, management trainee, customer service manager
- Quality Control, inventory control
- Retail sales
Degrees and Certificates Offered
- Associate in Science in Business Administration for Transfer
- Associate in Science in Business Management
- Certificate of Achievement in Business Management
- Associate in Science in Supervision
- Certificate of Achievement in Supervision
- Associate in Science in Administrative Assistant
- Certificate of Achievement in Administrative Assistant
- Proficiency Award in Administrative Assistant
- Proficiency Award in Professional Reception Skills
For detailed information about these degrees, certificates and proficiency awards, click on the link below.