Program Purpose: Business degrees provide the student with an educational foundation in the areas of leadership, ethics, communication, project management, decision-making, and management. Because of the broad scope of subject matter, business is an excellent preparation for a wide range of career paths, including accounting, business management, non-profit management, finance, teaching, and entrepreneurship.
Program Description: The Business Department at Ventura College offers a wide range of programs, degrees, certificates, and proficiency awards in Accounting, Bookkeeping, Business Management, Business Administration for Transfer, Social Media Marketing, Administrative Assistant, Medical Assistant, and Business Office Skills. These programs lead to career opportunities in a variety of industries. Coursework in the business program prepares students for baccalaureate transfer, career entry, and growth into managerial positions. In addition, students can select from an array of courses that will provide an entrepreneurial foundation to help them start their own business. Many of the degrees and certificates are stackable so that students can complete multiple awards by taking a few additional courses and enrich their professional portfolio.
Area Dean: Dr. Kathleen Schrader
Phone: (805) 289-6269
Administrative Assistant: Tammy Wilson
Phone: (805) 289-6276
Location: MCW, Third Floor
Department Chair: Debbie Newcomb
Phone: (805) 289-6268
Student Learning Outcomes
About the Business Program:
The Ventura College Business department is among the most highly regarded community college business programs in the state, including the Ventura College Chapter of Alpha Beta Gamma, an international business honor society. It has been honored at a national Alpha Beta Gamma conference with a number of awards, including: Excellence in Financial Management, the Hausman Siegel Distinguished Chapter President Award and the Eva Bobrow Medallion of Excellence Award.
In addition to these awards, the Ventura College Business department is extremely proud of the high caliber of its teaching faculty, whose goal is your success.
Students have the opportunity to earn an Associate Degree in Business Administration for Transfer as well as a degree in Business Management.
Many positions in businesses and government service require general business training. Retail organizations, financial institutions, insurance agencies, and government are but a few of the employers offering opportunities to the person with general business training. Business graduates have found a multitude of employment opportunities in the following areas:
- Administrative assistant
- Banking services
- Employment counselor/interviewer
- Franchise business owner
- Office manager
- First line manager, management trainee, customer service manager
- Quality control, inventory control
- Retail sales
Degrees and Certificates Offered:
- Associate in Science in Business Administration for Transfer
- Associate in Science in Business Management
- Certificate of Achievement in Business Management
- Associate in Science in Supervision
- Certificate of Achievement in Supervision
- Associate in Science in Social Media Marketing (beginning Fall 2016)
- Certificate of Achievement in Social Media Marketing (beginning Fall 2016)
- Associate in Science in Administrative Assistant
- Certificate of Achievement in Administrative Assistant
- Proficiency Award in Administrative Assistant
- Proficiency Award in Business Office Skills
For detailed information about these degrees, certificates and proficiency awards, click on the link below:
- Catalog description of individual courses
- Alpha Beta Gamma
- CTE Business Brochure 2014
- Gainful Employment Disclosures
Business Advisory Committee - Meeting Minutes: