Table of Contents
- What is assessment?
- Where do I take the assessment?
- What are the Assessment Office hours?
- What do I need to bring to the assessment test(s)?
- How long will the test(s) take?
- How do I make an appointment?
- Do you accept walk-ins?
- How do I prepare for the Assessment?
- How many times can I take the Assessment?
- Is there a fee to take the Assessment?
- Where do I pick up my assessment test scores?
The Assessment Office facilitates the assessment testing process using multiple measures to assess student's academic readiness for English, reading and math courses. Students will understand that the assessment process is a tool to ensure their successful placement in courses for which they are academically prepared.
Students can take the assessment test(s) at the Assessment Office in the Student Services Center (SSC) Building at Ventura College, 4667 Telegraph Road, Ventura, CA 93003. Assessments are also offered at our Ventura College Santa Paula Site twice a month. Visit our assessment schedule for specific dates and times.
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:00 am until 4:30 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am until 6:30 pm
Friday: 8:00 am until 4:30 pm
All students testing are required to provide:
- a valid Ventura College ID number (900...); and
- a government issued photo identification card (e.g., California driver's license, California ID card, passport, or military ID).
- If you are still in high school or just graduated, a high school ID may be presented.
- We will also accept a Ventura College ID.
- We will not be able to test you without proper ID. If you have lost your ID or do not have one, please go to your nearest DMV office to obtain a temporary driver's license or ID. We will gladly accept a DMV printout.
Math: Up to 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the test level
English: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Math and English: You can take both Math and English in the same testing session, or break them up into two different Drop- In days
- Visit our testing schedule on-line to select a date and time for your assessment by clicking here on Assessment Schedule
- Reserve on-line: Select a testing date and time from our assessment schedule and reserve an appointment using the testing appointment form and follow all instructions given on the form on how to submit your request.
- Via Phone: (805) 289-6402. Have your VC 900 ID#, DOB, and phone number ready when calling.
Yes, we accept walk-ins on designated "Drop-in" dates. Please visit our testing schedule by visiting the Assessment Schedule .
- No Appointment Required: First-come, First-served
- Students must provide a VCCCD student ID# (900..) which students obtain when they complete the admissions application process
- Photo identification card (ie.CA ID, drivers lic., school Id card, etc.) required at the time of testing
- Student must be completed with assessment test at least 30 minutes before office closing time
- *If you are taking both Math and English, you must come in no later than 2:00 pm to finish before closing time*
- Assessment Office reserves the right to cancel drop-in hours due to extenuating circumstances
You can prepare for both the Math and/or English Assessments using PREP2ASSESS
MATH TEST: Ventura College currently uses the Mathematics Diagnostic Testing Project (MDTP) assessment test developed by the CSU/US Mathematics Diagnostic Testing Project for placement into mathematics courses. The following links may be used to view/download samples of the four levels of math assessment tests used:
Test 1 Algebra Readiness (Pre-Algebra)
Test 2 Elementary Algebra
Test 3 Intermediate Algebra
Test 4 Pre-calculus
You might also want to try: Khan Academy Videos
Click on the link for the Arithmetic and Pre-algebra videos
Click on the link for the Algebra video
ENGLISH TEST: Ventura College currently uses the College Tests for English Placement (CTEP) test to place students into appropriate English classes. The English assessment test consists of three parts including reading comprehension, grammar and a sentence completion exercise. The English tes is multiple choice, and no written essay is required.
Click on the link for the English study guide.
Students are allowed to take the math and/or the English assessment test a maximum of two (2) times, unless they have specific authorization from a counselor or from the math or English department to exceed this limitation.
Assessments are free of charge for Ventura College students, and are required for students who:
- Are attending VC for the first time with the goal of completing a Certificate, an Associate’s Degree (AA/AS), or an Associate's Degree for Transfer (ADT).
- Plan to take an English and/or Math course
- Plan to take a General Education course requiring college-level skills
- TEST RESULTS MUST BY PICKED UP IN-PERSON by the student (photo ID required) at the Student Services Center in the Assessment Office. See Office Hours.
- Test scores will not be posted, faxed, emailed or given over the phone due to the FERPA Law (student privacy law) regardless of student's age.
- Bring a photo identification with you at the time of pick up and know your VC student identification number (900..).
NOTE: Test results can only be picked up by the student at the Assessment Office. (Photo ID required). Do not send a parent, relative or friend to request your test results. All college students, regardless of age, are required to pick up their own test results.