What is the Guided Pathways Framework?
It is a multi-year state program designed to improve student completion. Students are provided with a set of clear and structured course-taking patterns, as well as integrated student support services. The framework has four main dimensions.
- Clarify the Path - Create clear curricular pathways to employment and further education.
- Enter the Path - Help students choose and enter their pathway.
- Stay on the Path - Help students stay on the path.
- Ensure Learning is Happening - Ensure that learning is happening with intentional outcomes.
To learn more general information about Guided Pathways, click the links below:
- What We Know About Guided Pathways - Community College Research Center, Columbia University
- What We Are Learning About Guided Pathways - Community College Research Center, Columbia University
- Guided Pathways Demystified - Rob Johnstone, National Center for Inquiry and Improvement
- Guided Pathways Demystified II - Rob Johnstone, Kelley Karandjeff, National Center for Inquiry and Improvement
To learn about how Guided Pathways are being implemented in CA community colleges, click the links below:
- CA Community Colleges Guided Pathways Website
- Guided Pathways Pilot Colleges
- CA Assembly Bill 19 - Guided Pathways Participation is a Requirement to Receive CA College Promise Funding
What will the Guided Pathways Framework look like at VC?
We get to decide! VC has a cross-functional design team in place to develop a plan.
- Design Team Chairs - Colleen Coffey (History Faculty), Sebastian Szczebiot (Classified Senate President), Kim Hoffmans (VP Academic Affairs)
- Design Team Members (Faculty) - Lydia Morales (Academic Senate President), Kristin Clark (Chemistry), Erin Brocker (Chemistry), Asher Sund (English), Heather Aguailar (English), Veronica Berardi (Nursing), Dan Clark (Biology), Corey Wendt (Counseling)
- Design Team Members (Classified Staff) - Krishna Juarez (I.T.), Danielle Rodriguez (Financial Aid), Arlene Reed (Admissions and Records), Tatiana Lawler (Student Connect), Chez Harper (Sciences Division), Rick Trevino (SSSP Supervisor), Matthew Moore (Instructional Technologist), Olivia Long (Academic Data Specialist)
- Design Team Members (Administrators) - Phillip Briggs (Institutional Effectiveness), Damien Pena (Student Affairs), Lynn Wright (English and Math), Debbie Newcomb (Career Education)
- Design Team Members (Students) - Students will be recruited from various constituencies across campus.
So far, the Design Team has completed a self-assessment to determine where VC is currently at with relation to Guided Pathways, as well as a work plan for the 2018-2019 academic year:
- Guided Pathways at VC - Presentation
- Guided Pathways Self-Assessment
- Guided Pathways 2018-2019 Work Plan
Best Practices from Bakersfield College
Bakersfield College is a pilot college for the Guided Pathways Framework, and is far ahead of the rest of the state with regard to implementation. On April 27, 2018, Bakersfield College Director of Student Success and Equity, Lesley Bonds, gave a workshop at VC about best practices and about what Bakersfield has learned through this process.