VCCCD Distance Education
2nd District Wide Summit
Friday, February 24, 2017 / 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Hosted by Oxnard College
Call for Proposals
Submission Deadline: January 30, 2017
|Summit Proposal Quick Links|
|Forum & Audience||Presenters||Room Set Up & Audio Visual||Key Dates to Remember||Proposal Submission Form Instructions||Proposal Submission Form||Register for Conference|
The 2nd Annual Distance Education Summit invites Faculty, Staff, Instructional Technologist/Designers, and Administrative Leaders from, Moorpark College, Oxnard College and Ventura College to propose a presentation for our 2nd Annual District Wide Distance Education Summit.
Join your colleagues from across the district as an active contributor to the future of online learning. We want your presentation proposal(s) about quality online learning. Proposals can be about enhancing successful fully online, hybrid, and web enhanced courses. The presentations can be teams or individuals. We highly encourage presenting on incorporation of High Impact Practices (HIPs) in the online environment. A few examples but not exhaustive: creating active student discussions, developing opportunity for students to bond and remove the “loneiiness” of online learning, developing visual resources such as short video and audio. developing critical thinking, humanizing the online classroom with faculty visually present, holding synchronized and visual time in the regularly asynchroniized class, student research, student service learning, learning communities across courses, gamification, student writing across curriculum, promoting transfer to university, ways of encouraging completion and retention, methods for scaffolding the course for greater student success, creating a welcoming and safe environment, rescuing the failing/disappearing student, etc.
Please join us and your colleagues as together we share experiences in distance education delivery. At this conference we will learn the latest news about our Distance Education direction, and together form our next steps in continuing, and increasing, our offering of quality and robust online learning experiences for our students. You are encouraged to save the date for the DISTANCE EDUCATION Summit, Friday, February 24th 2017.. This is a free event. Seating is limited so RSVP in advance to assure your seat. Lunch and a light breakfast is provided. Seating is limited to the first 120 RSVPs.
In addition to plenary sessions by our Academic Leaders and a Keynote speaker on the topic, the District Wide DE Summit Planning Committee is intent on providing workshops and symposia for faculty sharing best practices in distance education and technology for online and hybrid classrooms. Several different time opportunities are available to fit a variety of topics:
- Auditorium Presentation Session: 3 groups will be chosen to present at the opening presentations. Each presentation is limited to 10 minutes each with time for Q and A.
- Breakout 1 - Concurrent Sessions: GIFTS. These will be quick roundtable discussions in a format called G.I.F.T.S. (Great Ideas for Teaching Success.) These are table top discussions where participants will move from table to table for a short period of time so you present to a large number of the attendees. include active presentations on research, best practices and other topics addressing DE. There will be 4 rotations each lasting 15 minutes. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- Regular Effective Contact
- Videos in online classes
- Collaboration in the classroom
- Turn It in
- Encouraging the use of Tutoring
- Making Connections with Students
- Technology tools in online classes
- Humanizing the online class with teacher visual presence
- Rescuing the disappearing student
- Adding writing across the curriculum
- Preparing students for transfer success
- Holding a synchronized visual hour or more each week in the asynchronis classroom
- Increasing success in web enhancing face to face courses
- Creative techniques with hybrid courses
- Promoting student research and service learning
- Up to 5 Concurrent Sessions that are interactive and engaging will be selected. They can be 20 or 40 minutes in length. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to all those listed above and those below:
- Learning Communities
- Collaborative Assignments/Activities
- Diversity/Global Learning
- Capstone Courses/Projects/ Portfolios
- Common CRNS
- OER usage
- OEI Rubric enhancement of online courses
- Poster Presentation Opportunities and Information Exchange Table will also be available. No need to sign up for this opportunity. Just bring your pertinent information to share for attendees to view during breaks.
DE Summit presenters represent all fields of online, web-enhanced and hybrid education we offer at our respective colleges. Presenters are called upon to be mentors, sharing information and teaching skills to equip fellow colleagues for exemplary service delivery and leadership.
To ensure a well-designed conference, presenters whose proposals are accepted must agree to the following:
- All handouts and presentation support literature will be electronically provided to the DE Summit Group accessible formats following established guidelines by the date stated by Summit Program Committee via subsequent email.
- Any videos used at the conference must be captioned. Video captioning is the responsibility of the presenter, as is the cost of any necessary equipment related to its use. However, basic presentation equipment and more will be provided in the high tech building setting the summit is being held at.
- Presenters must describe any visual aids used during a session in their application.
- Presenters must agree to permit the Summit Program Committee and DE Staff to edit the proposed Abstract, session length and format, if necessary.
- Presenters accepted through the Call for Proposals must sign and return the Conference Presenter’s Agreement form that will be sent upon proposal acceptance.
- All presenters must register as attendees of the conference. Registration information will be available at http://www.venturacollege.edu/online-services/distance-education/de-faculty/de-summit (Note: chosen presenters will be given high priority for registration)
The Presentation to the full group room is set in a high tech theater setting. Surround sound, enhanced video/film display, internet access, comfortable seating, a large front of room for role playing or panel discussion is available.
Concurrent Session rooms are arranged in “theater” style that includes a head table and chairs for presenters and chairs in rows with and without tables.. A presentation space using a multi projection screen is available with casual seating or standing audience space. Sound for videos can be provided.. The main presentation area is a Theater setting with high quality surround sound excellent for film, video presentations.
DE Summit will equip each Concurrent Session room with the equipment noted above:
Presenters should be prepared to bring, or make arrangements for:
- Their own laptops, tablets or netbooks, and cables that connect to VGA
WIFI, and internet will be provided in the presentation rooms areas.
Additional instructions will be sent to accepted presenters.
- January 13th 2017 deadline for proposal submission
- January 27th, 2017 or earlier - Notification of Acceptance/Rejection sent out
- February 10th 2017 – All presentation materials submitted to DE Summit Planning Committee
- February 24th 2017 – Summit held beginning at 8 a.m. and ending at 3:30 p.m.