The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is Currently unavailable to Students and families completing the FAFSA.
If you are currently completing the FAFSA, we highly recommend you manually enter your information. If you need a copy of your 2015 tax return:
• Contact your tax preparer or check your tax software used to prepare your return
• Request a 2015 tax transcript from the IRS and use that information to manually complete
the fields in the FAFSA.Please do not send us a tax transcript unless we've requested it from you
If we have requested a copy of your tax transcripts, you may obtain a copy of your tax transcripts by following the instructions below:
Select 'Get Transcript Online' at
Select 'Get Transcript by Mail' at
Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
We will continue to provide more information about the IRS DRT as it becomes available.
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tax filers can request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS in one of three ways.
Please Note: There is no charge for a Tax Return Transcript.
For 2016-2017, request the 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript.
For 2017-2018, request the 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Visit the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov
- In the TOOLS section of the homepage, click "Get a Tax Transcript by Mail"
- Click "Get Transcript by MAIL"
- Enter the information requested as prompted
- On the next page, Type of Transcript should be "Return Transcript" for Tax Year "2015". Click continue
- If you are successful in requesting the Tax Return Transcript by mail, you will receive the following message:
"We have accepted your request for a 2015 Return Transcript. Please allow 5-10 days to receive it. The transcript will be sent to the address we have on file for you."
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter "2015".
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
|Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T because it is sufficient to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS.
- On line 6, enter "2015" to receive IRS tax information
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.