Self-assessment is Foundational to Career Exploration!
The idea is to take what you learn through self-assessment and apply it to decisions and actions that further your career exploration and career planning. Assessment can be as simple as reflecting on questions like:
- "Why am I attending Ventura College?"
- "What do I want to do with my education?"
- "How will I accomplish my goals?"
Self-assessment can also be accomplished with the help of formal exercises through career advising and career development courses. These exercises often include self-assessment inventories or instruments, such as the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Strong Interest Inventory (SII).
Assessment Instruments DO:
- Provide a framework for meaningful conversations with your career counselor or advisor
- Help you consider things about yourself (such as your interests, preferences, or values) that influence career decisions and how we may interact with different tasks or occupations
Assessments Instruments DO NOT:
- Assign you a perfect, best-fit career or major- only you can do that, through a variety of career exploration activities including discussing assessment results with a counselor or advisor
- Measure your future skills or knowledge, attitude or motivation
READY TO TAKE AN ASSESSMENT?
Read about the career assessments offered at Ventura College and follow the instructions below once you have decided which assessment(s) you would like to take.
Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
The goal of the MBTI assessment is to help you understand how you and others take in information and make decisions.
Taking the MBTI assessment and discussing your report with a certified practitioner can help you identify innate preferences and understand how those preferences influence your career decisions and how you interact with others in the workplace. Many external factors influence our behaviors and the roles we play at work and in our personal lives. The MBTI, however, is designed to measure our natural, inborn preferences.
Strong Interest Inventory (SII)
The Strong Interest Inventory is a leading career-planning tool for those seeking career direction.
The SII is based on the idea that individuals are more satisfied and productive when they work in jobs or at tasks that they find interesting and with people whose interests are similar to their own. SII assesses your interests against six broad categories of work, and is proven effective in providing potential career interest areas and themes.
Instructions for MBTI & Strong:
- Get in the right mindset! i. (MBTI) In order for your results to most accurately reflect your MBTI preferences, respond to the forced-choice questions based on your natural, inborn preference; what you prefer when you can choose without the influences of external factors. You may look at a forced-choice question and think “But I can do both”. If this happens, consider ‘which one is more enjoyable?’, ‘which one comes more natural to you when you are free to be yourself and without being viewed in a particular role. ii. (Strong) Choose genuine responses that fit you as an individual and the results will be more accurate. There are no right or wrong answers; these are simply tools that give you a way to look at yourself and your interests
- There is no time limit, but plan for 30-45 minutes to complete the assessment
- Complete the brief registration information (or log-in to Elevate if you an account): Register Here on Elevate
- Contact the Counseling team to schedule an appointment to interpret your results (805) 289-6448