Pathway to Law School Program
Ventura College was selected as one of only 24 elite California Community Colleges, out of 114 Community Colleges statewide, to participate in the new California Community Colleges Pathway to Law School Initiative. Established under the auspices of the State Bar of California’s Council on Access and Fairness (COAF), this initiative provides a clear pathway to a law school education for students whose college education begins at Ventura College.
The Pathway to Law School Program provides students a clear pathway from Ventura College to six of California’s top law schools. The Program is designed to enhance opportunities and advancement in the legal profession for diverse populations, particularly those who have been historically underrepresented in the practice of law.
Career paths and opportunities for lawyers are abundant. Below are some of the career paths that may be sought with a law degree:
President of the United States
- Supreme Court Justice
- Legal Aid Associate
- Law enforcement
- Mediator for Family Law or Civil Law
- Paralegal/Legal Assistant
- State Assemblymen/Senator
- Civil Rights Advocate
In addition, many law school graduates pursue other successful careers with the skills they developed in law school. The skills you will learn translate well to other fields ranging from banking, to real estate, to the entertainment business, television and news reporting, consumer advocates, and environmental champions, among numerous others.
- Internship opportunities
- Exposure to law practice and law schools
- Meetings and presentations with law professionals
- Mentoring from designated faculty
- Academic counseling and guidance
- Financial Aid is available to qualifying students
- Prescribed course credits will transfer to participating Law Schools
- Fee Waiver for the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT)
- Fee Waivers for Law School Application Fees for participating law schools
- The program streamlines the process of transferring from Ventura College, to a 4-year University, to Law School
Participating Law Schools
The Pathway to Law School Initiative at Ventura College requires students to complete seven courses based on a defined set of “success factors” that help make effective lawyers.
When You Dream . . . Community College Pathway to Law School
This video features distinguished judges and lawyers from diverse backgrounds who began their educational career at community colleges. The video is produced by the State Bar of California Council on Access and Fairness for its Community College Diversity Pipeline Initiative, through a grant from the California Bar Foundation