The Ventura College Academic Senate represents all Ventura College faculty on academic and professional matters. During the Fall and Spring semesters the VC Academic Senate meets regularly on the first and third Thursday of each month from 1:30-3:30 pm in MCW-312.
According to Title 5, Section 53200, the term academic and professional matters covers the following areas:
1. Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
2. Degree and certificate requirements.
3. Grading policies.
4. Educational program development.
5. Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
6. College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
7. Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
8. Policies for faculty professional development activities.
9. Processes for program review.
10. Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
11. Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon.
Informally, these areas of concern are called the 10+1.
Active subcommittees of the Senate include the Curriculum Committee, the Faculty Staffing Priorities Committee, the Faculty Sabbatical Leaves Committee and the Faculty Professional Development Committee. Other ad hoc committees or task forces are convened as necessary.