IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process
Tax filers can request a transcript, free of charge, of their tax return from the IRS in one of three ways.
2014-2015 requires 2013 Income Tax Return
2015-2016 requires 2014 Income Tax Return
- Available on the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov
- In the TOOLS section of the homepage click “Get Transcript of Your Tax Records”.
- Click "Get Transcript Online".
- You will need to create an account if you have not done so before.
- After Step 1 is completed, you will need to access the email account provided during Step 1 type in the verification code.
- Note: Use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally, this will be the address that was listed on the latest tax return filed.
- Follow all steps to create the account. Once created, select the "Return Transcript".
- The transcript you have selected will open in a new window.
- If you cannot use the online service, you may use one of the options listed below.
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter "Appropriate Year".
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
|Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T because it is sufficient to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS.
- On line 6, enter "Appropriate Year" to receive IRS tax information
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.