Federal School Code: 001334
Steps to Success
- Complete the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application online by visiting FAFSA.gov or CalDreamAct.org
- Applications are processed throughout the school year. It will take approximately 7-10 business days for VC to receive/process your application.
- Follow up with Financial Aid within two weeks of submitting the application. An email will be sent to the student’s account when the application is received.
- Students should click on the “Financial Aid” tab on their my.vcccd.edu account to view what items are required to complete the Financial Aid process.
- All required items should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office immediately.
- To accept the Financial Aid Rights and Responsibilities: In "Financial Aid Requirements" box, click on "Accept Terms and Conditions". Select the academic year, read the terms and conditions, and click "Accept" at the bottom of the page.
- Green check boxes are completed items.
- Once all requirements are completed, you should monitor your portal weekly for updates on your status.
- If eligible, an award notification email will be sent to my.vcccd.edu account once file review process is complete. You can then login to the my.vcccd.edu account, click on the "Financial Aid" tab and then the "Financial Aid Awards" link to view the awards. The review process generally takes 2-3 weeks to complete.
- If you are a new student, a Bank Mobile refund selection kit will be mailed to you within 1-2 weeks. Follow the steps included to activate your card and select your refund preference.
The federal government is the primary source of financial aid for college students. Students must meet several requirements in order to be eligible to receive federal aid. The following requirements are common to most federal (and many other) financial aid programs:
- Students must have financial need and demonstrate it through their financial aid application materials. (Note, however, that some loan programs and many scholarship programs are available to students who do not have financial need.) We strongly encourage students to apply for aid by the deadline dates if they think they may need financial assistance.
- In order to receive financial aid, students must be admitted to the college and working toward an eligible degree or certificate. (However, students may apply for aid before being accepted for admission or enrolled.)
- To qualify for most aid, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-U.S. citizens. Federal regulations and campus policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to non-U.S. citizens. Click here for more information regarding the California Dream Act/AB540.
- All students must have a valid Social Security Number (California Dream Act applicants are exempt from this requirement).
- Most male students who are between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered with the U.S. Selective Service.
- Continuing students must be making satisfactory academic progress.
- Students receiving federal student aid may use it only for educational purposes.
- To continue to qualify for financial aid, students may not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on any federal educational loan.
Restrictions on Eligibility:
Undergraduates who have already received a bachelor's degree may only receive loans and the California College Promise Grant (formerly known as Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver) while pursuing an additional course of study and are not eligible for federal grant assistance such as the Pell Grant or state grant assistance such as the Cal Grant.
ENROLLMENT AT MORE THAN ONE INSTITUTION
Students who are enrolled at more than one college or university at the same time may receive Pell Grant from only one institution, not both.
Students may not borrow more than their annual loan limit, and VC will determine loan eligibility by reviewing the student’s borrowing record with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
For more information, contact the VC Financial Aid Office at 805.289.6369