Updates on the 2018-19 Promise Cycle:
- Open: The 18/19 Promise Application opened October 1, 2017
- Priority Close: 11:59pm on March 2, 2018 or when all spots are filled, whichever happens first
If you have any questions please contact the VC Foundation at email@example.com or 805-289-6461.
The Ventura College Promise is a program funded by donors in Ventura County who believe in student success! It covers the costs of Ventura College per-unit cost of classes, health, and student center fees for the FIRST YEAR of just under $1,000 students! The program is first come, first served and is designed to:
Remove the economic barriers to education for graduating Ventura County high school seniors
Improve the college-going rate in Ventura County
Enhance the quality of the workforce in Ventura County
The "Promise" is that qualified Ventura County high school graduates will have their enrollment fees covered during their first year of attendance at Ventura College. This same promise is extended to students who have successfully completed their GED requirements or who have completed the coursework for high school in the current year, but have not yet passed their exit exam.
- MUST be at or under the age of 20 years old
- MUST live in Ventura County and qualify for in-state tuition
- MUST graduate from a Ventura County High School or receive your GED in the most recent academic year.
If you find that you are eligible, the steps to apply are as follows:
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) OR complete the California Dream Act for AB540 students.
- Complete a Ventura College Application for admission and take necessary enrollment steps.
- Submit a Ventura College Promise Application online BEFORE the application deadline.
- To find the application:
- Log into your Ventura College Student Portal
- Click on the "My College" tab
- Scroll to the "Quick Links" section and click on "Scholarship Application"
- To find the application:
We encourage students to take as many units as they wish as there is no minimum or maximum number of units that must be taken while enrolled in the Ventura College Promise.
Please note that the VC Promise must be initiated in the Fall semester in order to be used in the Spring semester.
Ventura College counselors will continue to share the details of this program with prospective students during their ongoing visits to area high schools. Interested individuals can also contact a Ventura College counselor at (805) 289-6448 or the Ventura College Foundation Office at (805) 289-6461.
The Ventura College Promise
Campaign For College Opportunity: One of 15 "Practices With Promises" 2008
League for Innovation: Named as an "Innovation of the Year" 2009
The VC Promise in the News
Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017, Forbes.com
Meet The Town That Inspired Free Community College In California
Monday, Nov. 14, 2016, The Ventura County Star
What would free tuition mean for students, taxpayers?
Monday, Nov. 14, 2016, The New York Times
California Today: Why More Community Colleges Offer Free Tuition
Winter 2007, Community College League of California The NEWS
"Ventura Promise" Breaks New Ground
Saturday, Jan. 13, 2007, The Ventura County Star
Colleges offering to help students with tuition costs
Sunday, Dec. 31. 2006, The Ventura County Star
Ventura College Foundation to pay first-year fees
Sábado 30 de diciembre de 2006, Mi Estrella
Una promesa de ayuda para estudiantes del Colegio de Ventura
December 2006, The Ventura County Star
Foundation expanding help for new Ventura College students
March 5, 2006, The Ventura County Star
Ventura Promise grants open door to junior college
March 2006, Student Voice
Foundation removes barriers with scholarship opportunities