- College Information
- Apply & Enroll
- Services for Students
- Online Services
Foreign Language Assessment
We strongly encourages all students to enroll in language courses at the appropriate course level. To find your appropriate level:
1) Take the WebCape assessment test online at http://webcape.byuhtrsc.org/nwcregister.php?acct=vcccd
- Enter password: pirates1
- Choose the language and begin
2) When you have completed the test, print out the score report page.
- Note that getting help on the test, either from another person knowledgeable in the language, or from online sources, will not help you to determine the level that is appropriate for you. Please do the test on your own.
3) Assess your score based on the tables below. For example, a score of 300 on the Spanish test would mean that you should enroll in Spanish V02.
4) Print out the page with your exam results and complete the Petition for Challenging a Pre-requisite or Co-requisite found at: http://www.venturacollege.edu/assets/pdf/student_services/PetToChallng%20Pre%20or%20Co-requisite%20Rev10-29-12-Writeable.pdf and submit to the division office of Tim Harrison, Dean of Athletics, Comm. Studies, ESL, Foreign Languages, Health, Kinesiology, and Off Campus Programs.
- For students of American Sign Language, Italian, and Japanese, there is currently no level test available. Please contact the instructor of your course for guidance.
- Students who enroll in levels below their ability often do not succeed in their chosen course.
- Students who have had exposure to a language at home or who are without formal, academic study in that language, should take the placement exam to determine the most appropriate course level in which to enroll.
- The language course prerequisites in the Ventura College Catalog and the Schedule of Classes state that in order to enroll in, for example, French or Spanish V02, students must have completed French V01 or Spanish V01, or have completed two years of high school French or Spanish with a grade of “C” or better. If you meet these prerequisites, please follow the steps below.
- Students unable to demonstrate this prerequisite with transcripts, but who believe that their experience with the language should qualify them for admission to a higher level, may nevertheless enroll in courses at a higher level upon completing an online level test and then requesting a waiver for enrollment.
- Please be aware that the ultimate decision as to whether you are enrolled in the right course must be made by you in discussion with your instructor. The purpose of this level test is only advisory.
|Below 200 points||French V01|
|200 to 399 points||French V02|
|400 to 600 points||French V03|
|Below 200 points||German V01|
|200 to 399 points||German V02|
|Below 225 points||Spanish V01|
|226 to 325 points||Spanish V02|
|326 to 403 points||Spanish V03|
|Above 403 points||Spanish V04|