What is Child Development?
Successful completion of specific Child Development courses fulfills the Early Childhood (ECE) requirements for the California Department of Social Services, Title 22 Regulations, to work in licensed childcare settings. In addition, successful completion of specific Child Development courses fulfills the education requirements for a Child development permit, offered by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing at various levels: Assistant, Associate Teacher, Teacher, Master Teacher, Site Supervisor and Program Director.
The Child Development program trains students to work with infants, toddlers, preschool, and school age children in both center-based and family child care environments. The courses offered by the program can also be used by those working in the field of child development to upgrade their knowledge and skills.
A career in Child Development involves working with children to overcome emotional, social, and intellectual challenges. Professionals in Child Development usually work with children in preschool, toddlers, and infants. Career opportunities include working as teachers and teaching assistants, researchers, and counselors.
Job prospects in this field are good, according to the 2011-12 Occupational Outlook Handbook: "Employment of childcare workers is expected to grow by 20 percent from 2010 to 2020, faster than the average for all occupations. Growth is expected because of increases in the number of children who require childcare and continued demand for preschool programs."
Administrative Assistant: Katheryn Solorio
Phone: (805) 289-6276
Location: MCW, Third Floor
Department Co-Chair: Deanna Hall
Phone Number: 805-289-6051
Department Co-Chair: Jennifer Parker
Phone Number 805-289-6272
Area Dean: Debbie Newcomb
Phone: (805) 289-6430
Degrees and Certificates Offered:
- Associate in Science
- Certificate of Achievement
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Teacher Education
- Catalog description of individual courses
- Catalog description of Associate in Science Degree and Certificate of Achievement
- Gainful Employment Disclosures
- Course Student Learning Outcomes by Course
- Program Student Learning Outcomes
Child Development Advisory Meetings:
- CDTC Advisory Comm Meeting Minutes Spring 2017
- CD Advisory Minutes - Spring 2016
- CD Advisory Minutes - Fall 2015
- CD Advisory Minutes - Spring 2015
- CD Advisory Minutes - Fall 2014
- CD Advisory Minutes - Spring 2014
- CD Advisory Minutes - May 2013
- CD Advisory Minutes - January 2012