Program Purpose: The American Sign Language courses prepare students with communication skills in a second language and provide an understanding of the cultural aspects of the deaf community.
Program Description: All of the American Sign Language courses at Ventura College provide instruction in receptive and expressive sign vocabulary, appropriate grammatical and affective facial expressions, syntax, and body modifiers.
COLLEGE LEVEL STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
2. Social Interaction and Life Skills
PROGRAM LEVEL STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
1. Comprehend a signing message in a variety of contexts and formats
2. Interpret a signing message and write it clearly and accurately
3. Sign clearly and accurately in a variety of contexts
4. Demonstrate awareness of deaf cultural conventions