What is Tech Prep?
The Tech Prep Program provides the academic and vocational preparation for your identified Career Pathway. As a Tech Prep student, you will begin your program of study at a secondary institution in order to earn and advanced technical certification or degree. Career Pathways are academically rigorous and designed to provide, you-- the student, with not only the fundamental skills required for post-secondary admission but also the technical skills that will enable you to have a successful career in California's new, high tech economy.
Why is Tech Prep Important to Today's High School Students?
- 80% of all careers require education and training beyond high school but not necessarily a four year degree.
- 44% of all jobs will include information management: collecting, analyzing, synthesizing, storing and retrieving data.
- Tomorrow's employees will have to be adaptable since they will change careers often throughout their working lives.
- Future workers will need to have a broader knowledge base (with skills to match) that will allow them to perform a variety of tasks and help them transition between jobs as they advance their careers.
How does Tech Prep benefit High School Students?
- High school juniors and seniors may earn college credit while attending high school.
- Students minimize course duplication thus saving them both time and money.
- Juniors and seniors have the opportunity to interact with college faculty and students.