Ventura College Theatre Department
Announces auditions for
SHE KILLS MONSTERS
young adventures edition
by qui Nguyen
directed by Assistant Professor Nathan Cole
- Wednesday, September 3, 2014 from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and
- Thursday, September 4, 2014 from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m.
- Callbacks are on Friday, September 5, 2014 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
WHERE: Ventura College Studio Theatre (PAC 119) located in the Performing Arts Center
Before Facebook, Twitter, or the smartphone, a refuge for society’s nerds, weirdoes, and misunderstood existed in a game. Filled with role-play and adventure, this game provided an escape from the world and its pressure to conform. She Kills Monsters tells the story of Agnes Evans, a recent college grad who returns to her childhood home in Ohio after the tragic accident and death of her misinterpreted and nerdy teenage sister, Tilly. When Agnes discovers Tilly's Dungeons & Dragons play book, she enlists the help of the number one nerd at the school where she teaches, to guide her journey into Tilly’s imaginary world. Playwright Qui Nguyen’s comedic ride into the fantasy of role-play, complete with homicidal fairies, nasty ogres, and 90’s pop culture, delivers a heart-pounding tribute to the geek and warrior within us all.
PREVIEW: Wednesday, November 5, 2014
EVENING PERFORMANCES: Thursday, November 6 through Saturday, November 8, 2014 at 8:00 p.m.
MATINEE PERFORMANCES: Thursday, November 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM and Saturday, November 9, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
Start Monday, September 15, 2014. Possible times are from 2:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. This is not a final schedule. An exact rehearsal calendar will be determined once the show is cast and actor availability is determined. Cast members should plan for approximately four hours each day. However, due to the nature of the material, it will be easy to work around schedules for those actors cast in minor roles.
ABOUT THE AUDITIONS:
- We are looking for an ethnically diverse ensemble. Many of the roles will be double cast, meaning one actor for the character that is a part of reality and one actor for his/her alternate ego within the game. Our department is committed to objective casting, and does not consider factors of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ethnicity in casting except when the playwright requires such factors.
- Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. The director strongly advises reading script and the sides prior to the audition. Scripts are at the reserve desk in the Ventura College Library located on the second floor of the Learning Resource Center (LRC).
- AUDITIONS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY!! Please contact Assistant Professor Nathan Cole by email at email@example.com or call (805) 289- 6512 with the day and time you would like to audition. Please include a contact number and email address. The audition is open to all students, faculty, and staff at Ventura College, along with actors and students within the surrounding communities.
All cast and crewmembers will be required to enroll in THA V10A, THA V10B, THA V10C, or THA V10D.